(And Book Giveaway!)
We're home from vacation, and I'm getting back to my usual morning routine.
I get up when my alarm clock, er, the dog, wakes me; Grab a cuppa and sit outside and soak in my vitamin D3 while my doggie does his stuff; pick up after said doggie (on a good day); and then, the best part?
Talk to God.
Most days I have my daily devotional with me and I read that first, and then talk to God (Some call this PRAYER. I try to keep the line open so it's a conversation.) One of my favorite ways to start that dialogue is by thanking God for at least ten things.
My journal is another vehicle for a good list of "just ten things" (to be thankful for). Have you tried thankfulness as a discipline in your life? It is such a good exercise for increasing your sense of well-being. If NOTHING else changes, no matter what you're going through, the exercise of gratitude in itself is a game-changer.
Below is my list of ten from this morning.(Some days I want to go on for 20 or more. It's amazing that when you choose to be grateful you begin to realize you have incredible blessings to be grateful for.) If you do this exercise often, you will slowly start to live with an attitude of gratitude. Take it from me: a reformed worrier.
Are you a pessimist? Counting your blessings should be a mandatory routine! Gratitude leads to praise, and the Bible tells us that "The Lord is present in the praises of His people." Think about that: the Lord is present in praise! (Psalm 22:3)
"Draw near to me," says God, "and I will draw near to you." (James 4:8)
Don't know about you, but I'll take that any day.
JUST TEN THINGS
1. This beautiful, not-too-hot morning, with a clear sky.
2. The yard work that's been done (yay). (The yard work that WILL get done, yet!)
3. My family, despite the work a family requires.
4. My puppy, Ruffles. (More work, but more joy.)
5. Our country, which is still a better place than so many other spots on the globe.
6. Our recent vacation to the Smokies, and the wonderful homes of dear friends.
7. Dear friends.
8. Our church and it's leadership; our small group.
9. The work the Lord continues to do in me.
10. Life, breath, and the honor and capacity to commune with my Creator God!
What's on your list, today?
Leave a comment and share your top two with me and I'll choose one commenter to win a free book. It'll be your choice of one of my books (autographed to you, if you like) or a different Christian fiction read of my choice that I'm sure you'll love.
Don't forget to leave your email in a form such as this: Linore (at) LinoreBurkard (dot) com, so I can get in touch with you if you win!
Comments accepted through August 7th!