For Writers

Something For Writers

Have you seen this?
For my writer friends, my agent, Chip MacGregor, is a featured speaker at an upcoming writing seminar in Nashville, TN. Chip works out of Oregon, so having him in Tennessee is pretty nifty for those of us closer to the midwest and eastern seaboard.  He's a treasure of information (and humorous, to boot). Unfortunately, my husband and I are already booked for a seminar that day, but if you're a writer, pay attention to the special discount you can get on this already reasonably priced venue. (And be warned that as of this writing, there were only EIGHT spots left, not ten, as it says below.)
Follow the link (the headline) to find out the whole scoop. 
Posted: 13 Feb 2013 11:41 AM PST
I just discovered there are ten spots left in the writing seminar we’re doing in Nashville on Saturday, Feb 23. You can find out all the details about it here: http://nashvilleuniversity.eventbrite.com
The cost is normally $199, but if you write to me today or tomorrow, the people in charge told me they’ll discount the price to $149. If you’ve been on the fence, I hope that encourages you to join us. Would love to fill the seats. Thanks!
-Chip



Something Else for Writers 

I've been reading the books of Proverbs and Psalms, one chapter of each a day, and it's great to be back in these rich books of wisdom.  Proverbs 31  is something I turn to often, however. It's a challenging and inspiring reminder of what I'm called to be, do, and embody as a woman of God. 

As I read this chapter recently, I wondered how I might apply its teachings for women into my life as a writer. The following is the result.  Feel free to send this on to other women-writers you know who may find it inspiring.

The Woman-Writer Who Fears the Lord
[A thematic paraphrase of Proverbs 31:10-31]
An excellent writer who can find?
She is far more valuable than a hack.

 The heart of her readers trusts in her,
And will profit from spending time in her books.

 She does readers good, and not harm
With everything she pens.

She seeks knowledge, tools and methods,
And writes with willing hands.

She scours the world-wide web like a researcher of old,
And gathers her facts and data.

She works at all hours if need be,
To provide for the needs of her readers,
As well as for her agent or editor.

She considers a story idea and writes it,
And plants the seeds of her thoughts into rich fields of fiction.

She dresses herself for success,
And keeps herself healthy so she can both work and network.

She sees that her work brings profit,
And stays alert to new ideas, even at night.

She seats herself before a keyboard or paper,
And purposely puts her hand to writing.

She shares her tricks of the trade with students,
And makes herself available for unpublished writers. 

She worries not about the trashy books in the market,
She knows that her own work will satisfy a soul.

She carves out space in which to write,
She designs a comfortable and lovely "office" for her own use.

Her readers are discerning and wise,
They occupy the highest offices and respectable posts.
  
She crafts fine stories or articles and sells them,
She delivers manuscripts to magazines, agents and publishers.

Capability and dependability are her clothing,
And she laughs at the thought of failure.

She opens her mouth with wisdom to help other writers,
And teaching, with kindness, is on her tongue.

She looks well to the state of her manuscripts and projects,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her readers rise up and call her blessed;
Her publisher also, and he praises her:

"Many writers have done excellently,
but you surpass them all."

Writing to please the market, and banking on worldly success is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord and writes what He inspires, is to be praised.

Let her be the first to enjoy her works,
And let her reputation and book sales skyrocket in the market.

©Linore Burkard 2013

 

7 comments:

chappydebbie said...

Great post. I am not a writer, but I will share it!
Oh, I won a copy of 'Before the Season Ends'!
Have a great weekend and God bless!

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Thanks, Deb. And how wonderful that you won my book! Will this be your first time reading it? (I think you've read it, right?) glad that you've got your own copy!

chappydebbie said...

No, I won Book #2 here on your blog and didn't want to read it until I got Book #1...now I will have it! I am currently reading, among other things, HER ONE TRUE SOLDIER. I got it when it was free on Amazon. :)

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

How neat! Now you just have to win book number three! Let me know how you like the story (the short). Thanks much.

Rose McCauley said...

Graet paraphrase, Linore!

Johnnie Alexander said...

Absolutely love this, Linore. Sharing with friends!

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Thanks, Rose and Johnnie! I'm glad. Blessings are for sharing...:)