Servanthood. Holiness. Prayerfulness.



At the top of my day-timer, across each page, I have written these three things:

SERVANTHOOD. HOLINESS. PRAYERFULNESS.

They remind me that, no matter what my day looks like, no matter what my duties and responsibilities are that day, these are my three priorities. These are the areas I am seeking to grow in, as I pursue my walk with God.

Specifically, as a woman with a family, my servanthood first happens here at home. As I finish up the Study Guide to A Woman After God's Own Heart, I am reminded that my family, and my husband first among them, are to be the recipients of my servanthood above all others. These are the ones God has given me, the ones of my own household. These precious souls are only on loan to me for a limited time, so I want to make the most of the days, and use my energy and efforts first in service to them--which is also service to the Lord.
"She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness."
Isn't it wonderful that our God doesn't demand that we neglect our family in order to serve Him? On the contrary, he tells us that to give ourselves in service IS the way to serve him! (It's like getting two for the price of one; two benefits for one effort. We make our house a refuge, a sanctuary, we pray for the ones closest to us, and as we bless their lives, we are in turn blessed by our Creator.)

Not surprisingly, I find the more I "look well" to the ways of my household, the more I enjoy doing so. The more organized I am, the more planning I do for meals and groceries, and the more I participate in the lives of those in my care, the greater the rewards.

Do you have a method for keeping your highest priorities before you? (What's the top of your day-timer look like?) What are your spiritual goals concerning your family, right now?    
  

4 comments:

chappydebbie said...

I love those three priorities! I can tell you that with me, God comes first, then my family, then me. If God is pleased with me and my family is happy, then I don't need anything else; anything else is gravy....even though I hate gravy. :)
I find that if I neglect to put God first, for instance I don't read my Bible first thing and don't pray first thing, that my day really stinks.
Great post, Linore!

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Isn't it the truth! When our priorities begin with God, all else seems to fall into place. I don't always pray first thing, as I might have kids to see off or breakfast to prepare, but finding time is crucial. Thanks for sharing.

chappydebbie said...

You know, you can simply have a talk with God while you are showering, getting dressed or even while making breakfast/lunches. I find that there is so much to distract us each day, that I NEED to connect with God first thing, even if it's to simply say, 'Dear Lord, please bless this day'. :)

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Yes, I do those things (quick "connects") but they're not the same for me as when I FOCUS on special prayer time, you know? I think it's the being still that helps me hear from the Lord, as well as just being at His feet and nowhere else. Not so easy to do, but as you say, MAKING time is how to do it.