Brush Teeth Without Harsh Chemicals

As you incorporate more natural products into your life, little by little you'll make a real dent in the toxic overload modern life assaults your body with. A number of people have asked for my homemade toothpaste recipe which I've adapted from a recipe  originally by the Wellness Mama. It's an  easy way to eliminate one source of toxins which go directly into your mouth each and every day!  




Note: The original recipe says this is a "remineralizing" paste, (meaning it can actually heal enamel loss) but I can't say from personal experience, yet, whether or not this is true. I do know that my mouth feels great after using it, and I love the fact that I'm not ingesting any toxic chemicals such as flouride.

Homemade Toothpaste

5 Tablespoons Calcium Powder (Calcium carbonate)
2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
3 Tablespoons Stevia Powder or Xylitol
1 Tablespoon liquid castille soap
3-5 Tablespoons coconut oil, depending on the texture you want.
Optional: Flavored essential oil such as orange, mint, etc. 

1. Mix the Calcium powder, baking soda and stevia together until well blended.

2. Add liquid castille soap and mix in.

3. Add coconut oil and mix really well.

I store my toothpaste in a tiny Tupperware container, and use a clean cotton swab to dab a little each night onto my toothbrush. So far, my family has not come on board with using this toothpaste, but I suspect it is simply because it's easier to squeeze a tube than take out a little dab each night. To me,  it's worth the small effort. Simple to make and works great!

And now, because Sunday is Easter.....

Here's an old traditional Christian symbol of the Resurrection: I printed out a small "coloring book" for my youngest daughter to color using the images, below. If you have youngsters in your life, you may want to do the same. [Images courtesy of DOVERBooks.com].


 
 




Happy Spring and A Joyous Easter

Let us Rejoice, for He is risen, indeed! 






5 comments:

chappydebbie said...

Hey Linore! I shared this post and tweeted about it. So, tell me, how does this toothpaste taste? And does it leave an aftertaste in your mouth? My taste buds are super sensitive to aftertastes. Hugs and God bless.

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Hey Deb! Thank you, as always, you are so faithful. I have no problem with the taste, but if you are sensitive you would want to use some drops of essential oil to make it taste sweet, like conventional toothpaste. (It doesn't have a "bad" taste, but it isn't sweet, either, unless you add more stevia or one of those oils.) The oils are really concentrated, so it shouldn't take much, but I've not felt the need to use one. Hope you give it a try! And Happy Easter!

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

PS: I'm going to take all the comments from March and choose a winner for that set of tea!

Anne Payne said...

Thanks for posting your recipe. I'm a little hesitant myself with the castille soap in it. So far, I am using baking soda with a teeny tiny amt of peroxide and it works pretty good. My teeth feel much cleaner than when I use toothpaste. Like your family, mine would rather squeeze a tube :/

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Hi Anne,

Do you have to mix your toothpaste every time you brush? That would put me off. I didn't think Castille soap was a harsh ingredient--guess I'll have to research that ingredient. Thanks for sharing!