How To Surpass Yourself This Year!

We've been discussing how to set and reach goals, and I should mention that once you learn to implement a system to track your goals, you'll end up surpassing yourself in how much you can achieve in any given month or year.


That's the beauty of doing this: There are many things we can't change in life, but how much we get done when we purpose to do it, is something we can manage. You'd be surprised what you can achieve when you set your mind to achieving it. 

I hope by now you've written out your list of 100 goals, more or less.
Have you chosen your top ten?
Made sure they're measurable, and achievable?

The next step is to fashion a daily To-Do list that moves you, little by little, towards reaching those top ten goals. Since you're using your Master List to write out a monthly one, the next step is to plan out a way to work towards your goal in smaller, manageable steps, day-by-day.


For instance, if I get overwhelmed by the idea of needing to make major changes in a book, I might start my goal list this way:

Review and edit Chapter One. Only Chapter One.

(I am the sort who takes comfort in being limited. ha!) Without the pressure of having to edit the whole darn thing, I find that editing Chapter One is quite manageable. In fact, I might enjoy it so much that I'll shirk my own advice and go on to Chapter Two. But the thing is, I was able to motivate myself by removing the pressure. Forget about the GIGANTIC goal you want to reach and start out by taking teensy, baby steps towards it. 

What's true for me in writing is true in many, many areas of life. How's that old Chinese proverb put it? "The journey of a thousand steps begins with just one."


Take your first step towards that monster goal! If you care to share what your monster goal is this year, please do so. All commenters are entered into the current book giveaway of:


Help Your Twenty-Something Get A Life...And Get It Now, by Ross Campbell, M.D., Kregel Publishing
with a foreword by Gary Chapman, Ph.D.*

Kindle Bargain! Still on Sale!

Before the Season Ends (A Regency Inspirational Romance) is available on Kindle right now for only $2.51!  Great snuggle-up reading (or so they tell me) for a song. :) I have no idea how long my publisher will keep it at this price--I only discovered quite by accident that it was marked down.

 

Please, will you help me spread the word? Thanks so much!

Linore 

*Giveaway details are in the original post: http://todayswomanoffaith.blogspot.com/3013/05/goals.html


2 comments:

chappydebbie said...

I worked more on my list today. I have a small pocket calendar that I am thinking about using to check off certain things I want to do on certain days. I am going to try and get more organized this year so that I am more productive. Your advice has been great, Linore!

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

So glad to help, Debbie. A pocket calendar may be all you need. Personally, I use a desk planner, so I can fit my daily to-do list, as well as keep track of running goals. But it's important to find what works best for YOU. Praying you make 2013a year to surpass yourself, as I hope to do also!