Are you using a devotional in your quiet times?
Today's reflection comes from, 365 WWJD?, a daily devotional by Nick Harrison.

"Though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again." Proverbs 24:16

"James says, 'We all stumble in many ways' (3:2)....For most of us, I'm sure the number of times we've fallen far exceeds seven. Yet up we stand, dust ourselves off, and move on."

"Never let your humanity discourage you. Jesus knows us quite well and He is our greatest advocate. If He is still for us, who can be against us? Certainly not ourselves with our tendency towards self-condemnation. Stand up straight today. You are God's child, doing what Jesus would have you do."

Just a quick reminder that we are loosely following along with this book (365 WWJD?) in WOW_Women_of_the_Word, a Yahoo group aimed at encouraging and empowering Christian women. Of course, due to copyright issues, I can't transcribe each day's devotion for you, for which reason I recommend getting your own copy. Now and again I will post excerpts, such as today's; But whether you choose to use this devotional or some other, I definitely recommend using something. With one caution:

Your reading of anything other than Scripture, no matter how brilliant or edifying should only be a starting point for your own prayer and praise. To live as vibrant women of faith, we need more than a daily reading of anyone's good thoughts or devotional writing. We need to take what is meant for us from this reading, meditate on it in light of Scripture, and then turn our focus to Jesus.
The danger of using a devotional is in thinking that once you have read the day's portion, that you have "done your duty," spent your time with God. This can be true, but often isn't. Never lose sight of the fact that it is only the Word of God--and the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ--from which we can really draw sustenance to grow on.

I love to use devotionals, and I enjoy writing them; but I need to guard that I never allow them to displace real connection with my Saviour! And I suspect that you do, too.

Got a thought or comment? Post it; Once a month I'll be choosing from among commenters to win a copy of one of my novels. (To see them, click here)

No comments: