Considering Treasure

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and
rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."
Matthew 6:20


Today's verse reminds me of the vanity of possessions. I don't mean
the necessities of life--shelter, food and clothing. I mean all the extra
"stuff" we surround ourselves with to be comfortable, or to enhance
the appearance of our abodes.

I constantly challenge myself to rid the house of some of my "stuff."
(Usually books). I am pitiful at getting rid of any. No matter how ruthless
I determine to be, I end up with maybe four or five that I can part with--
out of hundreds. We have bookcases all over the house.

As a habitual bargain-hunter (with five children, you sort of have to
do this!) we also have plenty of clothing. I find it much easier to give
away bags of good clothing that has been outgrown, or not worn much,
to those who can use it, or to GoodWill or the Salvation Army. Actually,
I love to fill bags of stuff for young families, and there is one way that
I can even give books and godly magazines with no misgivings--
knowing
that another mom or dad will use them.

But even though I do this regularly, we still have/ too much stuff./
Stuff in itself is not sinful; but am I also careful to store up treasure in
heaven? It is counter-intuitive to do this, as what is stored in heaven is
precisely that which we do /not /keep: it is what we give away in love.
And not necessarily all of our giving even qualifies for heavenly treasure--
as Jesus pointed out at the Temple, it is when we give out of our own
need, our lack, that we give the most.

When I make up my bags of stuff for young families, I am giving out
of my abundance. That is no big deal, and what the world often does, too.
Lord, help me to give even when it hurts. Help me to give in faith. Out of
need. And let me let YOU be my treasure--now and forever.
Amen.


Linore

No comments: